What information do we collect and why?
Visiting our websites:
We use a basic installation of website analytics software to research general trend data for basic marketing and planning purposes. This data is non-personally-identifying bulk information such as: title of the pages on our websites being viewed, referring websites, and geographical popularity. Again, this data cannot be used to personally identify users or visitors as we do not capture IP addresses or other personally-identifiable information.
We use third parties (Stripe, as of this writing) as a payment processor to process credit cards, other financial transactions, and invoicing. These services do have procedures in place to prevent online fraud that may capture and analyze transaction data. If you purchase the Service through Google Play, Apple, or another third party, you should consult with them directly as to their respective privacy policies, but Witopia only retains minimal payment information as is necessary to process the transaction and provide service.
Account creation and use:
We securely store the email addresses, email configuration, and name(s) you enter when creating your accounts as well as contacts you submit to us. We also, because of the SMTP protocol, must temporarily store your recipients’ email addresses so we are able to route your communications correctly. Again, this is more a function of the way email works, than data collection.
Support and other communications:
- We may retain emails, chats, and other communications that you voluntarily send to us, including through our internal trouble-ticketing system, so we can troubleshoot issues with the Service.
- We may use your email address to: i) send you important updates and announcements related to your use of our Services; ii) respond to your requests or inquiries; iii) send you offers, surveys and other marketing content (you can opt-out of those at any time).
- We use tools, such as Mailchimp, to help us optimize email communications and provide you with easy ability to unsubscribe from unwanted emails. Mailchimp may track events you perform with an email, such as open and unsubscribe.
- If you contact us via our chat-bot on our website, in addition to collecting your contact information, we will be able to see your IP address. This additional information is necessary for our support to determine the user’s country and to see if the user is connected to our servers or not.
- The Service uses a combination of Oauth, app-specific passwords, and hashed passwords to authenticate You to our systems and Your email accounts. We never have access to these passwords.
- Our apps’ use of information received from Google APIs will adhere to Google API User Data Policy and the Limited Use Requirements.
What about the privacy of my email using the service?
Email and attachments encrypted with SecureMyEmail are encrypted “end-to-end” and with Zero-Knowledge Encryption. As such, they are encrypted on the sending device and are only able to be decrypted on the recipients” device(s). We do not possess the means to decrypt encrypted email sent using the Service as this requires the possession of the user’s private decryption key and secret passphrase, which is known only to the user. Your private decryption key may stay on your device or be transferred locally. If your private key is transmitted to us for ease of use of the Service, it is encrypted with your secret passphrase before it leaves your device and is delivered through an encrypted tunnel and stored in an encrypted state. If you do decide to transmit your private key to us, you may also choose to have it automatically deleted from our systems, or manually remove it at any time. In any event, we never have access to your secret passphrase so we never possess the ability to view or utilize your private key to decrypt any of your email or attachments.
We vigorously protect the privacy rights of our customers by design and by action. Although we do respond to valid legal requests, we scrutinize each and every request for compliance with both the “spirit” and letter of the law. As all SecureMyEmail systems, including our web and email servers, reside in Switzerland, we will disclose the very limited user data we possess if we receive an enforceable court order from either the Cantonal Courts of Geneva or the Swiss Federal Supreme Court. If permitted by law, we will always contact a user first before any data disclosure. Under Swiss law, it is obligatory to notify the target of a data request, although such notification may come from the authorities and not from the Company.
Any aspects of this agreement directly related to those functions between the parties shall be governed by the Laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Exclusive jurisdiction and venue for such matters shall be in courts located in Fairfax County, Virginia. We adhere to the standards mandated by the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). If you have any questions regarding this policy, or wish to request deletion of archived account data, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Use of our websites or services, as well as any dispute over privacy, is subject to this Policy and our Terms of Service.