What information do we collect?
- Email Address(es) as well as content of emails you send us.
- Account Information, such as names and contacts submitted to us.
- Log In Authentication Data
- Payment Data
From our website(s):
- Apache Webserver (see apache.org) logs.
- Anonymous web traffic analytics data from Piwik, known for its ability to protect user privacy.
- Any form data, emails, or forums articles submitted by you.
How do we use the information we collect?
We do not have any advertising on our website or contained within our software. We do not share your personal information with third parties with the possible exception of what information you provide to payment processors when you purchase the Service, such as PayPal, your Credit Card issuer, or other payment method.
- Email is used for correspondence and to send service, payment, and opt-out promotional information.
- Payment data is used to manage customer signups, payments, and cancellations.
- Anonymous website analytics data is used to improve our website and marketing/PR efforts.
- Apache webserver logs are used to maintain and improve the performance of our web server(s).
- Other submissions by you, such as forums, forms, emails will be used for correspondence and support.
- Log In Authentication Data is used to verify you are a legitimate user of the Service or an email address. For email providers that support Oauth (Google, Yahoo, Outlook.com, etc.) we may verify your log in credentials with the respective email provider.
- Account information, such as names and contacts you submit to us, is used for the functioning of the Service itself so we can properly support the encryption and relationship between you and your contacts.
What about the privacy of my email using the service?
It is important to understand that SecureMyEmail is an encryption service, not an email service. Other than email you send directly to us, your email is neither transmitted through, nor stored upon, SecureMyEmail systems at any time. Your private decryption key may stay on your device or transferred locally. If your private key is transmitted to us for ease of secure transfer to your other devices, it is encrypted with your secret passphrase before it leaves your device and is delivered through an encrypted tunnel and stored in an encrypted state. If you do decide to transmit your private key to us, you may also choose to have your it automatically erased from our systems within 30 minutes, or manually remove it at any time. In any event, we never have access to your secret passphrase so we never possess the ability to view or utilize your private key to decrypt any of your email even if it were to be transmitted through or stored upon our systems, which it is not.
As all SecureMyEmail systems, including our web and email servers, reside in Switzerland, we will only disclose the very limited user data we possess if we receive an enforceable court order from either the Cantonal Courts of Geneva or the Swiss Federal Supreme Court. If permitted by law, we will always contact a user first before any data disclosure. Under Swiss law, it is obligatory to notify the target of a data request, although such notification may come from the authorities and not from the Company.
The Service is sold and marketed, with payments collected, by Witopia, Inc. Any aspects of this agreement directly related to those functions between the parties shall be governed by the Laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Exclusive jurisdiction and venue for such matters shall be in courts located in Fairfax County, Virginia.
As systems to provide the Service, as well as store customer content, such as security keys and contact lists, are located in Switzerland, and managed by Better World Security GmbH, all remaining aspects of the Service shall be governed in all respects by the substantive laws of Switzerland. Any controversy, claim, or dispute arising out of or relating to these aspects of the Service shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the competent courts of the Canton of Geneva, the jurisdiction of the Swiss Federal Court being expressly reserved.