If you receive “Unable to connect to email provider” error.
If you have previously been connecting fine to this email account, it is likely just a temporary issue caused by one of the following reasons:
- A disruption in your internet connection.
- Your email provider is having a technical issue.
- Your connection is being temporarily refused because you have too many email clients connecting at one time (this usually resolves on its own).
If you are receiving this error during initial setup, there is an issue with your settings as we try and communicate to with your email provider. Here are some things to check:
- Check that you are using your provider’s most recent IMAP settings. We cannot support POP email.
- Check your internet connection and firewall settings.
- Does your email provider require an “app-specific password?” iCloud requires one, for example.You must set this up before you try to connect. You will use the new “application-specific” password in place of your usual email password in the SecureMyEmail Email Settings.
- Do you have two factor authentication set up with this provider? Try turning it off and retrying to see what happens.
- Does your provider use “Oauth” to authenticate you? (We have this setup with Gmail, Yahoo, and Outlook.com (as well as other Microsoft legacy email domains) so try sliding Oauth slider to “on” position in your Email Settings.
- If none of that works, contact our Support Team. Tell them who your email provider is and what settings you’ve tried.